Year of Saint Joseph
December 8, 2020 to December 8, 2021
On the 150th Anniversary of the Proclamation of Saint Joseph
as Patron of the Universal Church
Catholics around the world rejoice over the Holy Father’s proclamation of the Holy Year of St. Joseph, which began on December 8, 2020 and ends December 8, 2021. The entire Archdiocese of Philadelphia is encouraged to spend this year growing closer to St. Joseph by honoring him, imitating his virtues and asking for his intercession. May this be a year of great grace for all of us as we more deeply entrust ourselves to the care of our spiritual father. To submit an event or resource for consideration for this website, email email@example.com.
- Document: Guidance for our Archdiocesan Observance of the Year of St. Joseph
- Webinar recording: Our Archdiocesan Observance of the Year of St. Joseph
- Apostolic Letter Patris Corde of His Holiness Pope Francis (Español)
- Gift of Indulgences for the Year of St. Joseph (Diocese of Charlotte)
Check this website often for new events and resources for the celebration of this holy year!
Event Series: A Vincentian Approach to the Virtues of St. Joseph (Virtual)
Our Holy Father, Pope Francis, has dedicated 2021 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of St. Joseph as Patron of the Universal Church. While little is known about this saint, his virtuous actions speak volumes as the ideal “provider and protector.” To celebrate the occasion, join us every Friday in March as the Shrine’s Vincentian priests delve into the life and personhood of St. Joseph in an intriguing series: “A Vincentian Approach to the Virtues of St. Joseph.”
To learn more: For speakers, talk topics and registration, visit the website:https://miraculousmedal.org/events/stjoe2021/
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, March 17, 18, 19 – 7:00pm
Event: Celebrate the Year of Saint Joseph: A Triduum in Preparation for his Feast Day
Guest Speaker: Rev. David M. Friel
- Wednesday, March 17: “Joseph the Just Worker” with Evening Prayer, Exposition, Benediction, Confession
- Thursday, March 18: “Joseph the Sleeping Giant” with Evening Prayer, Exposition, Benediction, Confession
- Friday, March 19 (Solemnity of St. Joseph): “Joseph the Spouse of Mary” with Mass including Litany and Consecration to Saint Joseph
Location: St. Bede the Venerable Church, 1071 Holland Road, Holland, PA
More info: View the website/flyer
Friday, March 19, 2021 – 9:30 AM to 1:30 PM
Event: “Morning Joe” Retreat with Father Christopher Walsh
Location: National Centre for Padre Pio, Barto, PA
Celebrate the Year of Saint Joseph on the Solemnity of Saint Joseph’s Day with a “Morning Joe” Retreat at the National Centre for Padre Pio. This retreat includes the traditional “Saint Joseph’s Table” of bread and pastries, a spiritual conference with Father Christopher Walsh of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, opportunity for the Sacrament of Reconciliation, praying of the Rosary, Mass, and the Stations of the Cross. All events will be livestreamed on our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/PadrePioInc/
Register for this event at: https://www.padrepio.org/events/morning-joe-retreat/ Questions? Please email: Angela@PadrePio.org
Event: “Go to Joseph” Talk Series (on Zoom)
Please join us for a special talk series for the Year of St. Joseph by Father Gerald Dennis Gill, Rector of the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Peter and Paul. Discussion and sharing on the topics presented will follow. We will close by praying the Holy Rosary and the Litany of St. Joseph.
More information, talk topics and Zoom link: Click here for the flyer
Event: Young Adult Retreat “..Be transformed by the renewal of your minds..”
Young adults (20s & 30s) are invited to Malvern Retreat House for a weekend of spiritual renewal and fellowship in Christ in order to “discern the will of God, what is holy and pleasing and perfect (Rom 12:2).” The retreat will include Eucharistic Adoration, Holy Mass, novena prayers to St. Joseph, a Reconciliation Service, music by Bailey Savoy and the Sisters of Life, and time for spiritual direction, personal prayer, and recreation with other young adults from across the diocese.
Retreat Director: Fr. Timothy Danaher is a Dominican priest at St. Patrick’s Church in Philadelphia.
Friday, March 19, 2021 – Time: 8:30-3:30 pm
Event: St. Joseph Day of Reflection with Consecration
Join us at Malvern Retreat House for a Day of Reflection on St. Joseph. This is one of our many St. Joseph events that will be held throughout the year. During this retreat we will reflect on this beautiful saint in this Year of St. Joseph. There will be time for prayer and reflection with a Consecration to St. Joseph. Mass will celebrated in our Chapel.
Hosted by: Malvern Retreat House 315 S. Warren Ave., Malvern Pa 19355; 610-644-0400. Register at www.malvernretreat.com/register
More info: $40 PP on-site; $25 virtual.
Sunday, March 21, 2021 – Time: 2-4 pm
Event: Eucharistic Adoration and Procession
Join us at Malvern Retreat House for Eucharistic Adoration and Procession followed by a Presentation and Discussion on St. Joseph. “St. Joseph – Our Spiritual Father”
Hosted by: Malvern Retreat House 315 S. Warren Ave., Malvern Pa 19355
More info: No cost to attend; No registration required; Questions? Call 610-644-0400
To submit an event for this website, please email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below you will find links to the Church’s prayers and devotions in honor of St. Joseph.
Prayers and Devotions to St. Joseph
- To You, O Blessed Joseph, Pope Leo XIII: English / Español
- Litany of St. Joseph: English / Español / Latin
- Carmelite Prayers to St. Joseph
- List of St. Joseph Devotions, Diocese of Charlotte
- Prayers to St. Joseph, Diocese of Charlotte
- Prayer to St. Joseph, Carmelite Sisters of Terre Haute, IN
- Year of St. Joseph Resource, Diocese of Phoenix: English / Español
Archdiocesan Novena to St. Joseph
(To be prayed on the 19th of each month from March 19-November 19, 2021)
The Archdiocesan Novena to Saint Joseph can be prayed in any setting, especially before or after Holy Mass and/or at parish meetings, in the classroom and in the family home. The praying of this Novena is to unite everyone in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia on the 19th of each month, from March through November 2021, in single petition of confident prayer to the Lord through the heavenly intercession of Saint Joseph. Please keep in mind the monthly Archdiocesan intention, found on page 4 of the Novena below.
- Click here for the Novena prayers (Spanish coming soon)
Quotes from the Saints about St. Joseph
- 10 Quotes from Brick House in the City
- Saint Quotes, Diocese of Charlotte
- Saints Devoted to St. Joseph, Diocese of Charlotte
Shrines Dedicated to St. Joseph
Below you will find faith formation ministries and tools that can help you grow closer to St. Joseph during the Holy Year.
- Spiritual Program: Consecration to St. Joseph: The Wonders of Our Spiritual Father, by Fr. Donald Calloway, MIC: English / Español / eBook
- Spiritual Program: 33-Day Consecration to St. Joseph, Archdiocese of Detroit: English / Español
- Podcast: Fatima, St. Joseph and His Year to Rebuild with Fr. Donald Calloway, MIC
- Compilation of articles and resources on St. Joseph, Diocese of Phoenix (Click here)
- Compilation of St. Joseph Resources, Oblates of St. Joseph (Click here)
For Families and Youth
- Building the Domestic Church Guide, Knights of Columbus (Español)
- Consecration to the Holy Family, Knights of Columbus (Español)
- EWTN Cartoon, St. Joseph
- Blog post: St. Joseph Activities and Crafts for Families
For Men – Cultivating Authentic Masculinity with St. Joseph
Listed below are the Magisterial teachings of the Church on St. Joseph. May the contemplation of these teachings draw us deeper into relationship with St. Joseph, our protector and spiritual father!
Tyrolese Art Glass Co. stained glass image of St. Joseph
Parishes and institutions of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia have the permission of St. Joseph’s University to use the circular stained glass image of St. Joseph at the link below in their promotions for their observance of the Year of St. Joseph. Copyright text, if desired: Tyrolese Art Glass Co., Austria, 1899 / Courtesy Saint Joseph’s University Collection, Philadelphia
- Click here to download the image file (If a higher resolution is needed, please email Meghan Cokeley.)
Social Media and Electronic Communications
Use the graphics below on your parish website, social media and electronic and print communications to invite people to participate in the Year of St. Joseph.
- Web banner and/or email header with website: English / Español
- Web banner and/or email header without website: English / Español
- Instagram: English / Español
- Facebook: English / Español
- Twitter: English / Español
Image of St. Joseph in all graphics used with permission: Tyrolese Art Glass Co., Austria, 1899 / Courtesy Saint Joseph’s University Collection, Philadelphia
Bulletin Announcements (English / Español)
Año de San José – 8 de diciembre del 2020 al 8 de diciembre del 2021
Los católicos de todo el mundo se regocijan por la apertura del Santo Padre del Año Santo de San José para conmemorar el 150 aniversario de la proclamación de San José como Patrón de la Iglesia Universal. La Arquidiócesis de Filadelfia te anima a pasar este año acercándote más a San José honrándolo, imitando sus virtudes y pidiendo su intercesión. Para encontrar eventos locales, oraciones y recursos para el estudio de la fe para celebrar el Año de San José, visite archphila.org/joseph.