The general function of the Parish Pastoral Council is to advise the Pastor in those pastoral matters presented to it by the Pastor. It carries out its function by:
- Informing the Pastor of the needs and concerns, gifts and resources of the whole parish and its members;
- Developing and reviewing a parish mission statement (which will always contain the name of Jesus) and periodically re-evaluating and revising it;
- Developing a parish pastoral plan;
- Participating in ongoing pastoral planning;
- Recommending policies, procedures and programs which would assist in the implementation of the mission statement and the parish pastoral plan;
- Reviewing and evaluating the effectiveness of existing programs;
- Reflecting on Archdiocesan pastoral priorities and recommending how they can be implemented in the parish.